Chapter 2 - Epithelium
This quiz only covers material that would be expected to be discussed in a histology laboratory.
- Learn how to classify epithelia based on their structure and apical specializations.
- Understand how the structure of an epithelium correlates with its function.
What three features are used to classify epithelia? [+]
- Shape of surface cells
- Number of layers of cells
What shapes of epithelial cells are found on the surface of epithelia? [+]
- Squamous - width is larger than height
- Cuboidal - width and height are similar
- Columnar - height is larger than width
What names are associated with an epithelium that has single or multiple layers of cells? [+]
- Simple - single layer of cells
- Stratified - multiple layers of cells
What specializations are found on the apical surface of epithelial cells and their function? [+]
- Microvilli - increases the apical surface available for absorption
- Cilia - motility
- Keratin - protection and dehydration
What are the two specialized forms of epithelia? [+]
- Pseudostratified columnar epithelium
- Transitional epithelium
Are epithelia polarized? [+]
What separates an epithelium from the underlying connective tissue? [+]
What is the function of goblet cells dispersed between epithelial cells? [+]
It is not necessary to learn the names of specific tissues for this chapter, but rather learn to recognize variations in epithelia.